Sunday, August 26, 2007

6/9/07

Getting up at 1:50 AM sucked. Not feeling the best at 2 in the morning on the bus. However, 4:20 came about and I got a glimpse of Stonhenge in the bus. It was quite somber and eerie. 4:20 in the morning, and I could see far into the distance. I could see the skyline. THe day was very cloudy, and no sun was going to rise. I felt that the clouds really set the mood of seeing Stonehenge. Better than a blatant sunrise postcard.
5 AM, we start walking up to it, and there they were.The first thing that struck me about the stones were the amount of moss on them actually. The size of course was impressive. That goes unsaid. The rough feel of the rocks. They were real. They were set in a circular pattern. The guide talked, but I'll be damned if I remember everything or anything. I remember him saying that a lot of dome shaped hills were UFO burials or saucer burials. Tombs.
A lot of it is still shrouded in mystery. For example, it's claimed that there are missing stones but don't know what or who took them. If that is the case, was there ever a rock? How can you claim that something is missing when you haven't seen it? What's remarkable though is the land surrounding Stonehenge. 2 roads. That's it. Everything else was grazing, open land. Being out there was therapeutic. Beautiful, nice. The land with rolling hills and interspersed tree lines. I thought that it couldn't have existed in the modern world I'm in. It does exist though. Being out in nothingness. The sheep were cool too.
It was freezing I do remember, and getting back was a blur. I knocked out on the bus after Stonehenge. I slept until 1 PM today. Crazy.

No comments: